Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Wednesday 10 December 2008

The Prince's Trust

I am away for a couple of days to attend a Prince's Trust Celebrate Success Awards ceremony in the East Midlands of England, as we say on the World Service. I've judged the Sony and the Race in the Media Awards and for the Prince's Trust I have given a keynote speech and participate in events when invited, along with colleagues from broadcasting like Jon Sopel, Kate Adie, and entertainment folk like Rod Stewart, Stephen Fry, etc. I try to have awareness and money raised for the PT through my own networks. The Trust events, my son Jairaj who often comes with me has noted, are much more about real people than the more superficial showbiz galas we might go to.

Core consituents who have benefitted from the PT are highlighted with moving, well made films, as are some of the dedicated staff who are also honoured at these awards. There is a final ceremony held in London Springtime which HRH The Prince of Wales attends. Kevin Spacey, Gwyneth Paltrow and Richard E Grant were there this year, but the bit I like very much is when the lay winners make a grab for HRH on stage when they have been announced, and chat to him, give him a hug or even a kiss on the cheek. He gives them as much time as they want. These are informal, special moments not seen by the outside world.

http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/

No comments: