Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Thursday 19 February 2009

Bangladeshi Link to 26/11 Mumbai bombings; Official

The Times of India confirms what is slowly being reported in cyberspace but hasn't yet made it onto our Western screens and radios;

Bangladeshi minister for foreign affairs Hassan Mahmud has hinted that terrorists, who launched the November 26 Mumbai attacks, may have used Bangladeshi soil. This is the first time an official from the Bangladeshi government has pointed to a Dhaka hand in the attack.

The Muslim News writes of a banned militant organisation, Harkat-ul-Jihad-al Islami, Bangladesh (HuJI-B), having a hand in the planning and execution of the Mumbai operation. Geo TV News , is carrying the story too. Pakistan itself has already admitted to some Pakistani involvement, as reported on Al Jazeera English on February 12th 2009.

When I was reporting on the Mumbai bombings for Sky News etc, I did hear about a possible Bangladeshi connection quite early on but at that time we didn't have corroboration. For a foreign ministry government spokesman, though, to suggest a Bangladeshi link, means that there is some interesting evidence that has come to light to confirm that angle and we wait to learn more.

No comments: