Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Wednesday 13 May 2009

Crime Doesn't Hurt if You're in Indian Politics (Allegedly); on Total Politics

For Total Politics I have written about the numbers of candidates facing criminal charges in the Indian elections.

It's a lot. But, comfortingly, and something that I haven't included in the Total Politics report is that the number of candidates facing criminal charges is 15.1% of the total, compared to the 2004 elections, when the figure was 24%.

However, as the Times of India points out, the number of candidates in 2004 was 5,435, and there has been an increase in the number of candidates by 48.5% in 2009.

'Overall, there are 8,070 candidates contesting elections across India.'

So has the actual numbers of candidates facing criminal charges really changed dramatically?

Take a look at the maths.

No comments: