Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Wednesday 29 July 2009

Rajmata of Jaipur passes

London is very much a province of both India and Pakistan, particularly for the elites of the two countries. Many have summer homes here and vacation in the capital to escape the heat back home as well as to enjoy London's social season; Ascot, royal garden parties, etc.

Some have stronger ties; the Rajmata of Jaipur was born in London and was a frequent visitor. Elegant and regal, with her saris and short dark haired bob, she was always polite and friendly. The Rajmata invited me several times to her home for a cup of tea; we sometimes spoke on the phone but I never took up her gracious offer.

Sadly, now, if I do visit, she won't be there.

No comments: