Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Tuesday 20 October 2009

Pakistani Troops Battling for Control of Kotkai

Overnight, Pakistani army and Taliban fighters have been battling for control of Kotkai.

Ground forces have massed on the western, eastern and northwestern flanks of Kotkai, the hometown of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Hakimullah Mehsud and key Taliban leader Qari Hussain, readying for an assault.
"The high-level targets are the leadership. We hope to get the leadership," said Major General Athar Abbas, the army's chief spokesman.
"The forces have taken over the heights, features around Kotkai. Kotkai is the home town of Qari Hussain, formerly known as the mentor of suicide bombers," said Abbas, referring to "stiff resistance" at Sherwangi.


According to reports, Kotkai has not yet fallen.

No comments: