Welcome to my blog. I may write copy here that I would not present elsewhere. This blog allows me to comment while reporting for clients which can include subscription-only platforms. I use it to take a sideways look at running stories, and all views presented here are my own.

Interested parties are invited to comment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Sunday 21 March 2010

The Passing of the Women's Reservation Bill in the Upper House in Delhi

It was exciting to watch events unfold on March 9th when the Women's Reservation Bill, guaranteeing a women's quota in Parliament, came to the Upper House or the Rajya Sabha.

With a lot of commotion, and, it appears, no great floor plan, the bill passed and there was great jubilation. Several opponents came together to vote at a watershed moment for Indian politics.

But there are many more hurdles to get through, namely the Lower House and the argument raised in some quarters that Muslim women need their own quota. We are not sure when the bill will move to the Lower House, parliament is in recess for a few weeks until April 12th and there seems to be quite a lot of debate going on behind the scenes as politicians take up their positions.

It is getting hotter in Delhi and I'm loving being in the city.

No comments: